Featuring a trip to the ER, very little sleep, a train ride not taken, a family party not attended, and lots of vomit!
Starring William Hahn.
Yes, it's been quite a weekend. On Saturday, Ed had William on his shoulders and they were playing around downstairs, and William apparently threw himself back. Ed grabbed his wrists to prevent him from falling, and William immediately starting crying in pain. He wouldn't move his arm and kept it close to his side, so we figured something was either severely sprained or broken. So Ed took him to the ER. It turned out that he had nursemaid's elbow. It's a common dislocation of the elbow (common in toddlers). Fortunately, William had stopped crying by the time he got into the car, and he was fine in the ER. He didn't even cry when the doctor put the joint back into place. The were back home within 2 hours and William was perfectly fine, as if nothing had happened. Whew! I was so sure he had broken his arm. What a relief. The weekend did not get better, however.
Saturday night was a rough one on the sleep front. Seth has not been sleeping well at all for several weeks now and I'm really at a loss as to what to do. He still sleeps swaddled, but he wakes up all the time and I have to replace his pacifier, and lately, he's been continuing to cry even after I give him his pacifier. I've tried unswaddling him, but it's really hard to get him back to sleep when he wakes up. And he flails around and can't seem to get comfortable if he's not swaddled. And I've tried putting him on his tummy, but he doesn't like it and rarely stays asleep on his stomach for more than 30 minutes. I've tried nursing him more often in the early part of the night. But nothing seems to help. Sometimes I think he wakes up because he's really uncomfortable, but he's not passing gas like he did in his earlier days. So who knows. At any rate, I swear I was up every 45 minutes last night. And if it wasn't Seth it was William, wanting me to sleep with him. And if he woke up and I wasn't with him, he'd start crying. He doesn't normally do that--cry so much when I'm not there. He usually will get up and come to our room or come into Seth's room if he sees Seth's door open.
Anyway, that leads us to today (Sunday). We had plans this morning to meet some friends who are here from out of town and take the Metro downtown to visit the Air and Space and Natural History Museums. So everything was fine this morning. We got ready, our friends arrived around 9:30, the boys played a little (they have a boy the same age as William), and then we got in our cars and drove to the Metro. William was excited to ride the Metro train. He had been acting a little whiny and cranky throughout the morning, and we just figured he was tired. On the way to the Metro, he said he felt "yucky," but you know--he's two. What does he know?
So Ed had dropped William, Seth, and me off at the Metro and had gone back home to do some work. My friends drove their car and parked at the Metro. We got our tickets and boarded the train. As we're waiting for the Metro train to leave the station, William lays his head in my lap, and then proceeds to throw up all over me. It was so gross. I had a burp cloth in my diaper bag so I used that to wipe up as much as I could. And then I used all of my wipes cleaning up the rest. I called Ed and told him to come back and William, Seth, and I had to get off the train and go back upstairs and wait for Ed to come back. William threw up on the sidewalk as we were waiting for Ed (right in front of some poor guy who was waiting to pick someone up!), and again in the car on the way home. He has thrown up several more times throughout the day and had a slight fever this evening. I'm praying that Seth won't get sick, and I'm hoping that William will get through the night without throwing up again. I'm fully prepared for another night of very little sleep. Seth, btw, was the perfect baby during this whole vomit episode. He just chilled out in the stroller and took everything in. He is such a good baby!
So needless to say, we did not get to visit with our friends, we did not make it to the housewarming party for Ed's cousin, where we would have seen the whole family, and I am not going to work tomorrow. *Sigh* I think this is the third Monday in a row that I've missed work because of a sick child. With that in mind, I'm going to bed now. I'm so tired I can't even see straight. Hopefully my next report will share better news!
6 comments:
Beth,I am so very sorry that it was such a tough and yucky weekend for you and William. I also am sorry to hear that all of you are sleep deprived. I sure hope that improves soon!!! I hope that William gets better soon and that everybody else won't get sick!!! I really have enjoyed all yours blobs and pictures of the boys. Thanks so much for doing them. Oh, I am on facebook, but I haven't been able to find you there? Hope you get some sleep tonight! Love, Cheri
Oh no! I am so sorry that William feels "yucky." I don't know when you're going to catch a break. Sleep when (if) they sleep today. I'll be thinking of you. :)
This sounds like a perfectly horrible weekend (in a way only moms know). Seriously, could you fit more bad craziness into your weekend?! Boo on that crap.
As for Seth's sleeping craziness, as you know that's when both boys started doing that at our house. At 5 months, they would sleep from 7-12 then from 12-6 they would wake up every 45 min or so. Nate would rarely make it 30 min or so.
We went through the suggestions in No Cry Sleep Solution, which seemed to help until they got a horrible cold and after that, it got worse and worse until we CIO. Since then, I'v learned the Weissbluth book has lots of advice on no-cry or little-cry solutions.
Our ped said 5 months is roughly the time they learn cause and effect, and some babies who get ill during that time and have interrupted sleep just learn the habit of waking up.
Can you believe that was almost two years ago?!??!
oh beth! This sounds like a hard, hard weekend! It has to get easier, it just has to! Hang in there! Hugs!
Sounds like you did a fabulous job of just rolling with whatever came your way this weekend. Hope William is feeling better today!
Oh, that is just awful! OMG. My heart goes out to poor little William and you!!! (((Hugs)))
Post a Comment