On Monday evening, Seth started running a slight fever. The daycare teachers said he felt a little warm in the afternoon, and you could tell he was not feeling very well. He fell asleep in the car on the way home, and he just wanted to be held once we got home. He didn't eat much dinner, and when it was time for William's nebulizer treatment, Seth climbed onto the couch and watched the video with William. He never does that. He also woke up several times in the night, and at 2:00 a.m., I finally gave him some Motrin. His temp was about 101.
He doesn't have any other symptoms, though. His nose has finally become snot-free, there's no coughing, no rash, no vomiting. I stayed home with both boys yesterday, and he was fine for most of the day. Around nap time, his temperature started to go up again, although it didn't get higher than 100. Overnight it spiked again, but still didn't get too high. He had a restless night again, though. Ed stayed home with the boys today and took Seth to the doctor this morning. He was already scheduled to go for a follow-up to his ear infection. He checked out fine at the doctor's--nothing wrong with him. Ears look great, no congestion, no explanation for the fever. Blah.
Ed said he was fine today, although he felt warm again this afternoon. He didn't eat much for dinner again, and his temp at bath time was 99. If he has a good night and wakes up with a normal temp, I'll probably send him to school. I hate unexplained fevers! It could be teething, although the temps are a little high for that. It could be Roseola, although the temps are a little low for that, and he's already had it this year. (Can kids get repeat cases in the same season?) He's not congested, but when I'm holding him, the way he swallows makes it sound like his throat hurts, or there is some kind of post-nasal drip going on.
Having a fever now is so suspect, considering the H1N1 fears. On Monday, William told his teacher that he had a fever and I gave him medicine. They didn't know when he was talking about, and as I've mentioned, William has an over-active imagination. But they had to email me to ask about it, since they're trying to keep track of all the illness going on at the center. I wanted to shout, "I swear--William hasn't had a fever in ages! He just has a cold." And then Seth goes and gets a fever. Ugh.
And speaking of H1N1, our county has only received a small amount of vaccine, so doctor's offices haven't gotten any yet. The county is having a clinic on Saturday for pregnant women and children ages 6 months to 3 years. So do I brave the crowds and crazy long lines and take the boys? Or do I wait a few weeks to see if more vaccine gets shipped to the county, at which point our doctor and every CVS in our city should have a supply? But what if there is a shortage of vaccine? What if this turns out to be our only chance? With William's inclination towards wheezing and pneumonia, H1N1 could be very dangerous to him. He's done great this summer and fall so far, having had no wheezing incidents since last winter. That's pretty huge. But we also didn't stop the Pulmicort this summer, so maybe that helped. Who knows. At any rate, we'll have to decide soon about the clinic on Saturday. Of course, they're calling for rain on Saturday. But maybe that will make the crowd smaller. At the very least, I might go early and see how much of a line has formed, and then Ed could bring the boys out if it looks promising. Stupid H1N1!