I am stressed and tired, and while I had intended to write a post about how sometimes, I just have to say "to hell with time" and stop trying to cram in the regular routine each and every school night, instead, I need to vent about dead fish. And screaming kids. And a messy house.
So today, the boys had their well doctor visits--5 year for Seth and 7 year for William. They are both great, but Seth had to get two shots. He hates shots. And now the entire building 3-story building knows this. I heard our nurse say to another, "We've got a screamer--I need some help." Fortunately, she was experienced and quick. It took Seth a little while to calm down. Our 3:00 appointment finally ended at 4:30 and I agreed to stop and get ice cream on the way home. (I think I needed the ice cream more than Seth did.)
I had also told William that we could stop at Pet Smart on the way home to finally get fish for his aquarium. We've been "cycling" the aquarium for 2 weeks, so he's been very anxious to get fish. He decided on 4 neon tetras and a ghost shrimp. We brought them home but before we even got the bag upstairs, two of the tetras were dead. We acclimated the two that were left and the ghost shrimp, and the boys went outside to play. We came back in and put the two alive fish and the shrimp in the tank and then headed out to Pet Smart to replace the two dead fish. We stopped at McDonald's on the way home and got home around 7:30. We let the new bag of fish float on the tank and noticed that another tetra was now dead, as well as the shrimp WTF? After the boys ate we headed upstairs, skipped bath, put on PJs, and saw that two more of the fish did not look well. By the time reading was done, we had 6 dead tetras and a shrimp. William was upset and stressed out and I feel really bad. We had the water tested on Sunday and it tested fine. The woman at Pet Smart said it should be fine for the fish.
I did some Googling, and it could be the water temp is too cold. It could be that we didn't acclimate them long enough. I was supposed to incrementally put water from the aquarium into the bag before putting the fish into the tank. Apparently, neon tetras are a bit "fussy" so maybe we should consider something else. Poor William. It's so hard when expectations are dashed.
So now I'm researching neon tetras and aquarium cycling and acclimation, instead of cleaning up downstairs (Ed is playing hockey tonight--otherwise, he'd be doing the cleaning) or reading, or taking a shower to wash this stinkin' day off of me.
Getting back to the whole the-hell-with-time thing, it can be really stressful to get everything done each night that we need to get done and still get the boys to bed by 8:30 p.m. (I'd really like to have lights out at 8:00 p.m., but it just hasn't been possible. And even 8:30 is sometimes pushing it.) When we get home, I want them to have time to play. I want them to get outside time, to play with neighbors, to chill out and have time to do whatever THEY want to do. And yet, William has homework to do, and he has to read for 15 minutes and I have to make dinner and they have to eat and they have to clean up toys (if they even got a chance to play with toys) and they have to take a bath and brush their teeth. And of course they want me to read to them and I WANT to read to them. It's too much! I'm looking forward to summer, where we'll at least have no more homework to have to worry about. But I still want William to read every night. I still want to get him to write every day. And I want to work on sight words with Seth. And we're still not going to get home until 6:00 p.m. every day.
When school starts in the fall, Ed and I are hoping to hire a babysitter for 3 days a week, and we'll enroll the boys in the aftercare program the other 2 days. William will be moving to the 2nd-5th elementary school, and they have designated homework time during the aftercare, so that should help. I'm also hoping having a babysitter will help with after school activities and play dates. But still, it's only going to get worse--harder to juggle--as the boys get older and get more homework and projects and are required to read for longer periods and want to participate in more activities. So I better stop whining and we better just come up with ways to deal with it.
In the meantime, as we all agree, it's okay to have days where we eat ice cream, and McDonald's, and go to Pet Smart twice, and skip baths even though we're sweaty and dirty, and don't go to sleep 'till 9:00 and leave the messy house for tomorrow (or for the husband who will be cranky when he arrives home late to said messy house--but to hell with him, too! LOL).
Hopefully, my next post will be a lot more cheerful than this one. (Remind me to tell you about Memorial Day Weekend--the fun run! The parade! Making Ed's cousin's baby barf!) If not, you'll forgive me, right?

7 comments:
Holy crap, woman, I was tired just reading this! What a day! And so many freakin' dead fish! Poor William is right.
You know what will help this situation? Wine. :)
Looking forward to hearing about a fun Memorial Day weekend!
Collective primal scream for you!
Wishing you some peace and fewer dead fish in the days ahead. In all seriousness sometimes a post is just a brain dump of stress. It proves you are human and trying to manage among the chaos.
Sorry you're struggling! But I know you're trying your best and will "work it out!"
Candy is an aquarium whiz - she has nine! - and would be happy to give you advice. Email her at Candice@candicedavis.net. :)
I also had a big aquarium before kids, it was a birthday present from Jon to me! I would highly recommend transitioning the fish on a weekend. The fish needs hours to acclimate, from water temp to water chemistry changes.
We have many nights where they don't have time to play but I don't feel too bad since they play at after school until we have time to get them.
But in general, feeling your pain!!
You have the most awesome attitude, Beth :) I love it. I used to be really into fish in my prekids days. Use a water conditioner (its in a squirt bottle), and I highly, highly recommend using a bacterial supplement, such as Cycle. This will help jump start the growth of beneficial bacteria that break down ammonia and nitrite in your new tank, helping you avoid fish deaths from New Tank Syndrome. I had an angel fish that lived 10 yrs that I loved! I still miss that fish!
UGH! The dead fish would have been enough to send me straight for the box o' brownies and the margarita mix. I am totally sending you a super duper hug full of love and understanding, because I know exactly how you feel about never having enough time. There's too much to do! And even when you do it all -- there's actually still MORE to do. This will get easier as our kids get older, right? RIGHT?!
Hang in there, girl!
Girl, you have so much busy I can't even.
And you cannot lose with a Betta fish. Those things thrive on neglect. Seriously
Post a Comment