Thursday, December 11, 2008

Holiday Spirit Restored--A Little

Tonight was our daycare center's annual holiday party. Seth ended up staying home with Ed again, so it was just William and me. (Seth is better, but we kept him home one more day just to make sure he was really over it.) When I got to daycare to pick up William, he was soooo excited for the party. All of the kids were excited. I guess they had been talking about the party a lot during the day, because I hadn't even mentioned it to William. But William knew there would be a party and knew Santa Claus would be there. The kids' excitement and the buzz around the Center was infectious.

When we got to the party, William was so excited to see some of his friends. The music teacher, Mr. Bill, was there as the entertainment, and William went right over to him to check out the instruments and listen to the music. This is momentous because William is usually terrified of Mr. Bill and at school, he won't go near Mr. Bill. Tonight, however, he sang Jingle Bells with Mr. Bill, and at the end of the night, he told me, "I like Mr. Bill! He's nice!" (He also said, "I like Santa Cwaus! He's nice!")

William loved running around with the other kids, being silly, and singing songs. When the announcement was made that Santa Claus had arrived, the kids shrieked with excitement. William somehow ended up at the front of the line. But it was a bit overwhelming for him and he started crying and wanted me to hold him. We watched a few kids sit on Santa's lap and then he decided he wanted to sit on Santa's lap, too. And he did! I was so proud of him. Santa gave him a little gift and William was thrilled. It was so fun to watch all the kids and see everyone having a great time.

As we were driving home, William said, "I had a good time at the birthday party, Mommy!" He's still trying to figure out what, exactly, Christmas is, but so far, I think he likes it. The whole evening has helped me remember what Christmas is--joy, anticipation, excitement, celebration, and friendship. It was just what I needed, jut when I needed it!

3 comments:

MJ said...

What a cute account of a great party. I'm glad he stayed healthy and got to be at the party!

Joanna said...

I'm starting to think that watching your own child enjoy the joy of Christmas is better than when we were the kids.

LauraC said...

Sounds like a GREAT night after a hellacious week. And I am so proud of William too, as I'm sure Alex would have the same reaction to Santa this year!