You turned 3 today and my heart is so full of love for you. I think the day was a bit anticlimactic for you, but even at 3, you don't expect much. We almost didn't light the candles and sing "Happy Birthday" tonight, simply because time got away from us and it was getting late. But just before we were ready to read stories, you asked, "Can we light the candles and sing 'Happy Berfday'?" So we headed back downstairs and lit the candles and sang "Happy Berfday" to you. I cut a piece of chocolate cake for you, but you decided you didn't really want it. Maybe tomorrow night!
You caught a cold which turned into wheezing, so you spent the morning with Mommy, taking a trip to see the doctor. You're fine--we just have to work in some extra nebulizer treatments--but to tell you the truth, I'm glad we got that little bit of extra time together, just you and me. Even though you haven't been feeling well, you're still your same sweet, happy self. You were so good for the doctor, as you always are. You're never scared and never shy at the doctor's office. I love that about you.
I love so much about you! You're developing a great sense of humor. Whenever you accidentally hurt yourself or knock something over, you say, "I shouldn't have done that!" You're mimicking Dave from your Real Wheel videos, but I love that you get it--that your delivery is spot on!
I love how you're developing empathy for others, and I love how considerate you are. You are so sweet with Seth (most of the time!) and I can see that you genuinely love him. And I love how you play with your friends, and how you want them to be happy and have a good time.
I love how observant you are. You never miss anything! You ask questions all the time, and I hope you'll always be this way--always wanting to know more, and always reinforcing what you already know.
And I love how you still love trucks and construction equipment and vehicles of all kinds.
You are becoming so independent and so much of a kid now. It almost breaks my heart--almost. Mostly, though, it fills me with pride to see you learn new things, to take joy in learning and experiencing and being, to see you becoming the person that you are.
There is so much that Daddy and I want to give you--confidence, patience, knowledge, strength, peace--but the best we can do is love you with all of our hearts, and we do. You are an amazing little person, and we promise to do our best to nurture you and help you and guide you. Every day, our job gets harder. But every day, our love grows deeper. We are so lucky to have you. I hope you had a wonderful birthday and that you fell asleep feeling secure and happy and loved. I wish that for you every night of your life!
All my love, forever and ever,
Mommy
4 comments:
A post as sweet as chocolate cake!
I love your final line about wishing him each night feeling secure, happy, and loved. You are a great mom and I'm sure he knows this, even at age 3.
Happy birthday William!
Happy birthday William! Congrats on making it three years, you amazing mom! I am so glad we met and so glad to call you a friend. Love your letter!
(and was there ever a boy more obsessed with trucks??)
Happy belated birthday! What a beautiful post!
Oh! Happy birthday William! I hope to meet you soon. Beth, I loved this letter. So well put. I love your writing and how able you are to post exactly what it feels like to be a mom to this age group. Hard. Rewarding. Amazing. Happy berfday, William!
Post a Comment