Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Story Time

Lately, on our commute to and from work, Seth has been asking me to make up stories. Sometimes I tell a story, and then he tells a story. Sometimes we go back and forth, adding to the same story. I remember doing this exact same thing with William when he was Seth's age. And while it's lovely and gives us some great QT and no doubt further's Seth cognitive and creative and whatever-else development, HOLY MOLY IT'S EXHAUSTING.

Seriously people, I'm tired in the morning and I'm trying to clear my brain from the a.m. scramble and getting to work exhausted is just not a great way to start the day. And of course, by the end of the day I'm fried and I just want a few quiet moments to regroup before I start the evening scramble. But instead, I'm telling stories about talking animals who have to work together to solve problems and little boys who build really cool vehicles that can take them wherever they want to go and kids who find an abandoned construction site and work together to finish the building and mommies who want to stab themselves in the eyeball because they CAN'T GET A MOMENT'S PEACE . . . no wait, not that last one. Just got a bit carried away.

Anyway. really in truly, it's awesome that I have this alone time with Seth. Next year, he'll be going to kindergarten, and I'll be away from him for at least 10 hours a day. So for now, no matter how much peace in the car I crave, no matter how much my throat aches and my brain coils from 35 minutes of sustained talking and forced creativity, no matter how much I cringe when Seth says, "Let's tell stories!" I will not wish these days away. Because I know, with every fiber of my being, that when they're gone, I will want them back. It's the worst paradox of parenthood--wanting time to pass, and then wishing you had it all back.

3 comments:

Tanika Davis said...

This line right here: It's the worst paradox of parenthood--wanting time to pass, and then wishing you had it all back: is SO poignant, Beth. It's like the nugget/theme of a very good book I would try to read at night, but would likely fall asleep on. :-)

Seriously, I think it is so awesome that he wants to tell stories with you. I can imagine how exhausting it is, and how it'd be so nice to just turn on NPR and not-listen to Morning Edition on your way to work, while Seth looked out the window and talked to himself. But it says so much about you and your parenting that you push yourself to do it, and that he'd rather do that than watch Sesame Street DVDs over and over and over (the way my kids do). You rock! I bet those are some great stories, too. Write 'em down and tell 'em to my kids, please! :-)

heather v said...

Would he like books on CD? Our library stocks lots of kids titles. Magic Tree House is a favorite of the boys.

I hear you on just wanting peace and quiet on the way home. Last night we played I Spy while in traffic. Needless to say it was better than Ben's car playlist with Peanut Butter and Jelly time on repeat.

LauraC said...

Awesome.
Yet not awesome.
I know exactly what you mean!!