Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Mom Conversations

Yesterday we had a play date after work with one of William's good buddies from daycare. He no longer attends William's daycare, so it's been a while since we've seen him. William had a blast, although I have to say, he was kind of a brat while we were there. He wanted to play with whatever toy his buddy was playing with. You know--that kind of kid? I hope he won't always be like that.

While the kids played, his buddy's mom and I tried to catch up. She's one of my favorite people and I was really looking forward to chatting. But who were we kidding? With two two-year-olds to tend to, how much fluent conversation do you think we really had? It seems like we started a million disjointed thoughts that were interrupted by referee sessions, dinner preparation, language interpretation, etc. I loved seeing her, though, and only hope that I somehow managed to put together a complete thought and sentence, and that she doesn't think I've lost my mind. This is why I crave alone-time with my girlfriends--with no kids around to distract me. It's like heaven on earth to gab for one or two solid hours with a close girlfriend!

4 comments:

LauraC said...

OK first I must say if William acted like a brat, then Alex must be a complete brat all the time. He is always that kid, following Nate around to take whatever Nate has. We had to introduce the concept of "turns" to have any peace in our house.

And you do realize your evening is what my house is like every day?! LOL!!! That conversation sounds like every conversation Jon and I have had when the boys are awake for the last.... two years! HA HA!!! Refereeing, constant need for help, never finishing a thought.

This is why we loves our tv, peace and quiet so Jon and I can actually speak to one another.

This post cracked me up big time!!

MJ said...

I know what you mean! Of course, I'm one of the ones who gets to see you for a few days each year for all this good conversation.

I'm sure the other mom is hoping she put together and intelligent sentence as well.

Maybe this is another reason why momm-blogging is so hot; it's a place to share the articulate thoughts that you couldn't while your child was running all over the place. :)

LauraC said...

I am still laughing my butt off today that you got to live my life for a couple of hours. I think I may have to link to this post!

Beth said...

Laura--that's so funny that you mentioned that because I TOTALLY thought of you and Jon! LOL. How do you keep track of conversations and pieces of information that you actually HAVE shared? I left her house and couldn't remember what I had said, and what I had wanted to say. I also wanted to say that I feel bad now for saying William was a brat. It's totally normal behavior right now, and if he's still acting like that when he's 4, then I'll be worried!