Monday, April 28, 2008

Adjusting

After having such a rough time on Friday, Friday night, and Saturday morning, and with William being sick, we decided that Ed and William would go to Ed's parents on Saturday after his nap and stay there overnight. That would give William some time to bond with Ed, and would give all of us a little break. I was a basket case when Ed and William left, but William seemed eager to go and left with Ed happily. And it turned out to be a great thing for everyone. I got to bond with Seth, which I really needed, and William got lots of attention at his grandparents and managed to sleep through the night (as did Ed, the lucky guy!), and we all got a needed breather. Ed and William didn't get back until after dinner on Sunday, and I was so anxious to see them that I was almost nervous. But William was great when he got home, he wanted to see Seth and he wasn't quite as clingy towards me.

So that was a relief! He still woke up twice last night, and the first time, I lay down with him for a bit, but I eventually left his room with him awake, and he didn't like it, but he didn't fall apart and went back to sleep. The second time was 5:45 a.m., and Ed went in and William didn't freak out. Ed went back to sleep with him and they slept until 7:30 a.m. That's never happened before so I'm hopeful.

We kept William home again today since he was sick, rather than take him to daycare, and overall, he did really well. My mom is still here, thank God, and she was able to hold Seth a lot so that I could spend lots of time with William. (She's holding Seth now, which is how I have time to blog!) Ed took him to Target this morning, and also spent time playing with him. I let him play in the sink with water and cups and that kept him occupied for quite a while this morning. His nap was cut a bit short because he woke up and wanted me but I had to nurse Seth. Such is life, we survived. Putting William to bed tonight was a bit of a challenge. He threw a fit and kept running after me to his door. I let him cry for 2 minutes and went back in and cuddled him a bit, then left him again. This time he cried for a minute or two but went to sleep. *Sigh* Who knows how tonight will go.

We had a good time today, though, and William's still showing no animosity or resentment towards Seth. He likes to show Seth everything he's doing, and our biggest problem is that William is too rough with Seth. He has no understanding that he could hurt Seth. So I have to be super vigilant when I leave Seth in the swing or bouncy seat. Today William showed Seth his balloon (and wanted to bounce it off of Seth's face) and his digger (which he wanted to shove into Seth's hand) and his lollipop (which he wanted to shove in Seth's mouth). Good times!

And speaking of Seth, he is a super-good baby so far. No excessive crying--really hardly any crying at all. He's nursing well (yay for good nursing this time!) and while he sleeps better when someone is holding him, we've had some good sleep runs in the swing, and last night he even slept for an hour in the bassinet. He's had a couple of long periods of awake time, just looking around and checking things out. He was content in his bouncy seat this morning for almost an hour! He seemed to know that I needed to give William all of my attention. So yay for that! He's also bonding with Ed a bit. He was up with Ed while I was lying down with William last night, and they both did well!

And finally, I have new pictures. Here's Seth:


And here's William checking out Seth's baby gear:


Tomorrow, the plan is to take William to daycare. We'll see how it goes and when we can get out of the house. Am I a terrible mother because I'm feeling so thankful that I can take William to daycare for the day? Probably, but such is life. At any rate, I think we're all adjusting, so life is good. It's amazing how it's hard to imagine you can love two people (well, really three, including Ed!) so incredibly much.

Off to check on Seth. He sure is happy in his Baba's arms! I think she's held him more than I have!

7 comments:

Stacey said...

Hi Beth, congratulations on Baby Seth, how exciting and precious - he's so handsome! It sounds like William is adjusting well, it's undoubtedly a tough transition for all, so hang in there. Sure hope we get to meet Baby Seth here soon!

You've also inspired me, I've created our own blog now! http://street-family-blog.blogspot.com/. Would love to catch up sometime soon, let's chat! sstreet2@cox.net

Take care, and congrats again!

Stacey

Lindsay said...

NO!!! You are absolutely NOT a bad mother for being thankful for daycare. We pay for daycare so we can do our jobs, and right now your job is bonding with Seth. Everyone will get better Mommy time because of it. Don't you think William will benefit from being back on a normal schedule? I know JTC will when it's us next Fall.

Anonymous said...

First of all you are not a bad mother for being thankful that you can take William to daycare. It will be good for both of you to have your own routine.

I did want to make one suggestion that might make things easier at some point. Because I also had a big brother running around the house we bought a Graco tot block playpen. It is a square playpen which you can then actually put Seth into even when he's in the bouncer, and later on when he is having some tummy time or just to play with some of his toys. I was so scared of Robert stepping on Matthew's head or something when he was racing through our den so this gave me a peace of mind when I needed to (or wanted to) put him down somewhere. If you lived closer I'd give you mine!

Here is a link but you can google it if it doesn't work: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2918304

Anonymous said...

Oh, and Seth is beautiful!! And William is adorable in the bouncer : )

LauraC said...

I have to agree, no you are not a bad mother! William has really thrived being in day care, learning so much, being with his friends and people who love him. Keeping a familiar setting will help him with the transition to being a big brother.

Plus my goodness you just gave birth and have a newborn, you need some much-needed time for yourself.

And I have to thank you for telling it like it is, the good and the bad. I did a horribly horribly crappy job telling the worst of the worst stories in the beginning and I regret it. Telling the good stories is the only thing that kept me from losing my mind in the beginning bc it was so freaking hard. SO HARD. It seemed every day we were learning new adjustments and figuring out how to make our family of 4 work. Oh and listening to two babies cry and not getting any sleep and recovering from childbirth and learning life was going to be busy forever.

Love the pics, keep them coming. And we're all here rooting for you!!

Mountain Mom said...

Of course you are not a bad mother! If I could have put Tyler in daycare and just had a little one-on-one time with Erin, I know there would have been times of less stress for me. Count your blessings. You're doing a great job, Mama! :)

MJ said...

I think things will work out well when William returns to daycare--it's his routine and will help you get one too.

That's the same bouncy seat we had! Both of your babies look adorable in it.