Friday, August 01, 2008

And the Decision Is . . .

. . . to move Seth to the new daycare center. I spoke with a few people who have their children at Daycare A, and they spoke glowingly about it. They were candid about shortcomings and issues that have come up, but they had nothing but wonderful things to say about the teachers and quality of care their children receive. I gave notice at the current center, and the teachers were actually very nice and understanding. At the end of the day, I am not feeling anxious about our decision and I'm not having second thoughts. Seth's first day at Daycare A will be August 25. That just happens to be the week that our current daycare is closed for teacher training, and Ed was going to stay home that week with both boys. Lucky for him, it will just be him and William, now. Actually, it works out because we can use the week to transition Seth slowly, and we can also introduce William to the new center. Maybe by the time William gets offered a spot, it won't be a strange place to him, and the transition won't be too tough.

Anyway, there's no turning back now. I'm excited about, actually, so I think that's a good sign. In other news, William came down with a cold yesterday and tonight, he started wheezing. He's currently not on any medication--no Singulair or Pulmicort--and we were hoping that he would start to outgrow these wheezing episodes, but no such luck. We gave him a nebulizer treatment with Albuterol before bed, and we'll go to the doctor in the morning to see if he needs a steroid, and to see if we need to put him back on a medication. William's class recently had a week of learning about doctors and being healthy so when I mentioned that we would go to the doctor tomorrow, he got pretty excited.

I also wanted to note that William has finally figured out that if and when he wakes up in the middle of the night, or the wee hours of the morning, he can actually get out of bed and come into our room. I was wondering how long it would take before he realized that. We used to close his door and we had a child-proof handle so that he couldn't get out. So when he woke up, he called for us and we went to him. But he had a bit of a sleep regression not too long ago and insisted on us leaving the door open. So this past week, I woke up one night to hear his little feet padding down the hallway, his blanket dragging behind him. It really hasn't been much of an issue, because it's been early in the morning, and usually when he's up for the day anyway. I pick him up and bring him in bed with us, and he hangs out until we get up. But last night, he didn't sleep well (I guess because of his cold), so he came into our room a few times. The first time, I went back to his room with him and lay down in his bed for a little while. In the early morning, I put him into our bed, but then Seth woke up, so I went to nurse him and when I got back to our room, William had taken over my spot. So rather than wake him, I went back to his room and slept there for the rest of the morning. (I think it was a whole 50 minutes before I had to get up for the day!) So this might be turning into a bad habit that will require some remediation. But I have to admit that I think it's pretty cute--although a bit startling--to wake up and have this little face staring at you. And he's so proud of himself that he came into our room all by himself. He says, "I wake up! I come Mommy Daddy's room." Yes, William--we see that! That's great, sweetie.

No comments: