Monday, August 11, 2008

Weekend Report--A Day Late

At the end of last week, I thought the boys were getting over their colds, but I should have known better. Both of them got worse, and none of us got much sleep this weekend. Friday night wasn't too bad, but I can count the hours of sleep I got on Saturday and Sunday night (combined) on one hand. Both boys got really stuffy/runny noses (William's has been like a faucet), and Seth got a horrible-sounding, hacking cough. And then William started coughing the tight-sounding cough that usually precedes wheezing. Seth was up and down during the night, and last night, William woke up at 3:30 a.m. and could not settle back down. He started the coughing at 4:00 a.m., and never could go back to sleep. He kept crying and I thought for sure he was going to throw up. He never did, thank goodness.

So needless to say, we stayed home today and I took both boys to the doctor. Seth is fine--just a bad head cold. His coughing is from his nasal congestion--not in his lungs. William, it turns out, has an ear infection. I feel so bad for not figuring that out after he kept crying like he was in pain every time he tried to lie down. Duh. I guess now that he's talking, I just expected him to be able to say what hurts. Poor guy. So he's on Amoxicillin now, and both boys got Motrin before going to bed tonight. We did all take a long afternoon nap today, so I'm not feeling too drained. Plus, the weather today was absolutely gorgeous, so we got to take advantage of it since we were home. I even took Seth for a walk this evening after William went to sleep. We hardly ever take walks because William is not really into walks, and the opportunities just don't seem to present themselves. But tonight's walk made me realize that I really miss it. Ed and I used to take William on evening walks when he was a baby, and it was such a nice time.

Anyway, so other than being sick, our weekend was nice. Ed and I went to a wedding on Saturday and Ed's parents babysat the boys. It was our first "date" since Seth was born and it was so nice to spend that time together. The wedding was at 2:30 and we didn't have to be at the reception until 5:15, so we had some time to kill in between. It was relaxing and the food was delicious and the wedding itself and the reception were both beautiful. On Sunday, Ed took William into DC for the morning (they visited the Natural History Museum and walked around some of the monuments), so I took advantage of the time by getting all the laundry washed, folded, and put away, and I went to the grocery store. It was nice to get a lot done, but it was too much time away from William, considering we had been gone the whole afternoon and evening on Saturday. It's hard to strike that balance on weekends--time with the family together, time for just you and your spouse, one-on-one time for each parent and child, and time to do chores and run errands.

So that's the weekend report. When I took Seth for his walk tonight, I saw the first star twinkling in the sky, so I immediately made a wish (you know--"star light, star bright, first star I see tonight . . . ). Can you guess what it was? Yep--I wished that both kids would sleep all night. I guess that's why they call it "wishful thinking."

1 comment:

MJ said...

What a sweet ending to this post. Other than being sick, I'm glad it was a good weekend.