Thursday, August 14, 2008

Happy Anniversary!

Today, Ed and I celebrate our 4th year of marriage. Four years doesn't sound like a long time, but after having two kids, it feels like a lifetime! (But that's in a good way, of course.) Having kids has definitely challenged our marriage in ways that I never expected, but it has also humbled me in that I've realized that I can learn so much from Ed. Together, we are way better parents than we would ever be on our own.

It has taken us a while to get into the groove of teamwork, but I have come to depend on him and appreciate him in so many ways that I never did before. He is always there for me when I need him, and he's there when I don't even know that I need him. I admire his strengths--he is dependable, driven, analytical, conscientious, confident, thoughtful, funny. And I love that I get to see a side of him that many people don't--silly, loving, questioning. There have been many times over the past four years that I thought, (dare I say it?) he's actually right. Whether it's parenting or politics or personal insights, although I've initially disagreed, I've had to concede.

Ed thinks that our family is very complete with our two boys, and while I'm not so sure, he may very well be right again! If that's the case, I'm really looking forward to reclaiming the "us" time as the kids get older and less needy. I have loved watching his relationship with William deepen and evolve as William has gotten older, and I can't wait to watch the same happen with Seth. I couldn't ask for a better role model for the boys.

So happy anniversary Ed! I love you and feel so grateful for your love, companionship, friendship, humor, and for all the little things that you do every day for our family. You are the best husband and father I could ever hope for. And I promise that next year, we'll get our vacation!

8 comments:

T with Honey said...

Celebrating 5 years of wedded bliss with a vacation sounds like a great idea. Start planning now because with 2 boys time will fly by and before you know it another year will be gone and no vacation plans in sight. I say this from experience. ;)

Happy Anniversary!

LauraC said...

Happy anniversary!
And that reminded me that my 4 year anniversary is coming up this year. Crap. Have no plans yet. Must make plans.

Anonymous said...

Congrats BB!!!!!!!!!1

Mountain Mom said...

Congratulations!!! We are celebrating our five year this year with a trip to Paris, sans kids! We've decided that we will take a big trip every five years, just the two of us. The in-between years, we'll probably just do a weekend thing locally, without kids. Personally, I think it's really important. The family is great, but you have to remember that without the two of you, there wouldn't be those wonderful children who take up every ounce of your day-to-day life. ;)

MJ said...

You've captured Ed's strengths so well. It doesn't seem like that was just four years ago but the pictures really bring me back. So much is different and so much is the same. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Belated Happy Anniversary, Beth & Ed!!

I can't believe that it has been 4 years! Where did all that time go?
Parenting, right?

Its great that you got to go out to dinner with another family and things went smoothly! I think when children get together they tend to entertain each other and when the parents are focused on their conversations the children relax also and have fun!

Please say hi to ED and give the boys hugs and kisses from us. We are excited to come for Thanksgiving.Thanks! Love, Aunt Cheri and Uncle Mitch

Julie said...

Happy Anniversary! You both look so happy in the wedding photos :) Congratulations on 4 happy years and many many more!

Rebecca said...

Happy belated anniversary! :)

love, beck