Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Day Before the Big Day

Tomorrow is William's 4th birthday. And the silly goose doesn't even care. We keep asking him, "Do you know what Thursday is?" He doesn't have a clue. And when we tell him, "It's your birthday!" he just shrugs, like, "Whatever." He is excited, however, that Ed is taking the day off and the two of them are going to the Baltimore Aquarium for the day. And he is excited about his birthday party at the fire station on Saturday. But the act of turning 4? No big deal.

Meanwhile, I am so busted. I haven't even gotten him a birthday present yet. I haven't gotten party favors (or even decided on what the party favors will be!), or done any shopping for the party. All I really need for the party is the cake, ice cream, and a few snacks to nibble on. But still, I'm woefully unprepared. But fortunately, my mom will be here and will likely save the day, running all my errands for me on Friday. I'll go to Toys R Us tonight, and maybe the party store if there's time. Clearly, I'm not stressing about it. (I guess it helps knowing my mom is coming, so thank God for moms!) But I do feel a little bit guilty for not giving the whole thing a little bit more effort. On the other hand, procrastinating is my forte, and everything has a way of working out, so why stress. The most important thing is to make the day as awesome as possible for William. He will spend the day with his dad, get macaroni and cheese for dinner and ice cream for dessert, I'll read him as many books as he wants before bed, and he'll probably even get to stay up a little late. As for gifts, my mom got him a scooter, so I'm sure he'll love that. And he's so easy to please, I'm sure I'll have no problem finding him a little something that he'll love. Maybe a stomp rocket, or a Star Wars toy, or even some new construction vehicles.

Maybe I haven't been on top of the planning because I'm in denial--denial that my baby could possibly be growing up so fast. Mom 101 wrote a very touching post yesterday on the eve of her daughter's 3rd birthday. She asked, "How has it only been 1,096 days? I'm sure you've been in my heart forever." For me, William has been in my life for 1,461 days. But he has definitely been in my heart forever. Truer words were never spoken.

3 comments:

HeatherV said...

LOVE this post. On the toy front Ben loves his stomp rocket to the point that two of the rockets are currently on the roof.

Just a thought, it's cheap and you could do it on the computer once home, but how about a coupon book of special things you could do just with him during the summer or the next year. Maybe each one could have a tear off sticker to wear when he redeems.

you could also get him a jon jon and make him wear it to is party. I know of a place to get them :-)

Teresa said...

They really are so easy to please at this age and I'm sure he'll be excited about whatever gift you find for him. And love the end of your post - so true!

Karen said...

I could have written the line about procrastination and not stressing. We are having Michael's party on Saturday and I am making the cake and still need to get the only thing he asked for, Scooby Doo party hats!