Tuesday, May 18, 2010

In Anticipation

On Sunday night, our digital converter box stopped working. For those who don't know, a digital converter box is how those of us who don't have cable (those VERY few of us) and who have very old televisions watch TV. Ed and I decided long ago that we would not have cable, and while there are many times I wish we did, for the most part, it has been fine. I hardly ever watch network TV, and I'm kind of glad to not have more shows to get addicted to. William and Seth don't watch much TV, either. On Saturday and Sunday mornings, we let them watch whatever they want--usually Caillou or Mighty Machines or other videos we get through Netflix on our ROKU. We rarely turn on the TV on weekday mornings, and every once in a while, I'll let William watch TV when we get home from work.

That said, we both love LOST, which we watch live. There is one episode left (Tuesday night), and then the season finale is Sunday. So that is why Ed found himself in Best Buy after work last night. Initially, he thought he would just buy a new converter box. But they only sold the same brand that we already had--the one that stopped working. So instead, Ed stepped into the 21st century and bought an LCD HDTV. It's only a 32" (pretty small by most peoples' standards) but we're pretty excited about watching LOST tonight and then the season finale on Sunday. If it wasn't for LOST, we might have done without network TV altogether.

Even with our new TV, we still don't get pick up several channels, including CBS and PBS. I can live without CBS, and if we fiddle with the antenna, we can pick it up. But not having PBS SUCKS! We really don't want to bother with a roof antenna, so for now, we're living without it. Maybe when we buy a house, I can talk Ed into getting cable. But with LOST gone, he may want to get rid of the TV altogether. (Sigh)

Speaking of LOST, I'm pretty bitter about the way they're wrapping up the show. But anything with such high expectations is bound to disappoint. Maybe I'll post my thoughts on Monday. In the meantime, don't bother me tonight. Or Sunday night. :-)

4 comments:

LauraC said...

LOST!

My mom is in town this weekend and I already told her - I hope you like Lost because we are watching it.

Joanna said...

No cable? Really? I'm impressed. I could never get Andy to go for that. It would be nice though.

Karen said...

No cable would never go down in this house. Todd keeps the TV on morning, noon and night. I could probably be OK without it though.

Megan said...

My favorite line, "Not having PBS SUCKS." I knew I liked you, Beth. :)