When William had his 4-year-old well visit at the doctor's office a week ago, he wasn't well enough to get his immunizations. So we made a follow-up appointment for today. If he checked out, he could get his shots. A small part of me was hoping he would not quite be well enough for his shots. I was dreading the screaming, kicking, and emotional trauma that I was sure would happen based on the last three times he got shots.
I picked the boys up from school at 3:30. William asked if he would have to get shots. I told him the truth--if the doctor said he was better and healthy enough, he would get two shots. He was quiet for a minute, and then he said he didn't think he was feeling better. I asked him if he was going to freak out if he had to get shots. He said no, that he would be brave. I didn't think I should hold my breath for that one.
We got to the doctor's office and the doctor examined William. He checked out great. William asked the doctor if he was going to get shots. The doctor told him yes, that he would get two shots. Then we had to wait a few minutes for the nurse. I asked William if he was scared or nervous. He said no, and again said that he would be brave. When the nurse finally came in (after William asked over and over, "When's she going to get here?"), she asked William if he wanted one shot in each arm, or wanted both shots in one arm. He said he wanted both shots in one arm. Then she asked him which arm and he pointed to his left arm. Then he sat in my lap and pulled up his sleeve. He watched the nurse give him his first shot and he didn't flinch. He winced a little for a second, and then she gave him his second shot. Again, he didn't flinch.
Are you freakin' kidding me? I couldn't believe it. I could not believe that this was the same child who freaked beyond belief when he had his flu shot in October. I was so incredibly proud of him. He was grinning ear to ear when it was over. He got three stickers, two hot tamales (his new favorite candy), I let him watch a video when we got home, we played the Cat in the Hat game, and I read him two extra books. Wow--if this is what being 4 means, bring it on! It's like they begin maturing before your eyes.
Of course, ever since he turned 4, he has become quite the smart aleck. For the last three days, he has been sassing his teachers a little, testing the limits, and trying to be the class clown. I'll take the bad with the good though. If I didn't really see if before, this has without a doubt made it quite clear that my little boy is growing up.
6 comments:
That gives me hope!!!
YAY for getting the unexpected and BOO to babies growing up! Have a fab holiday weekend.
Wow. That post is so bittersweet. It just captures what is so amazing about parenting. Good job, William. I can't believe he's four!
Good for William! I was a good bit older before I stopped needing people to hold me down for shots... (I give blood regularly now to make up for it.)
Way to go William!
YAY William! Its so funny when they surprise us with their maturity--just when you least expect it or are dreading something that just a few months prior was hugely dramatic/traumatic.
People keep telling me 4 is awesome--I have high hopes!
Post a Comment