It seems my boys have grown up a lot over the last few months. I think Seth's triple whammy (crib-to-bed, no more pacifier, and potty trained) has thrown me for a loop, but William has been keeping pace. He's so much more independent now, and he's such a deep thinker. Tonight, William went to sleep without the bed rail on his bed. He looks like such a big kid!
It's a small step, but symbolic of greater changes that happen in small steps every single day. It's true for the boys, but it's true for Ed and me, too. It's a reminder that change is not a destination, it's a journey. There are changes I want to make in my life, but they will not happen overnight. I have to remember that it takes small steps. And I have to remember that trying to change habits and failing is better than not trying at all. I'm never going to change if I don't try.
With that in mind, my mantra for 2011 is to DO IT NOW. I have long been a self-proclaimed procrastinator and it's something I usually laugh off. But I've realized it's a real obstacle to achieving any sort of sense of accomplishment. Combine my ability to procrastinate with my penchant for laziness, and you have the perfect storm for inertia. I've been thinking a lot lately about self motivation and how it works for people. And I've realized that I need to start small, and I need to feel success. So I've been making my bed every day. (I've made it every single morning since Thanksgiving!) I've also been paying much more attention to picking up around the house, putting things away promptly, not letting things pile up. I've tackled several organization projects, like cleaning out my closet, cleaning out my desk, sorting through digital pictures on my hard drive, syncing my iPhone. It's helped to have time off to take care of these things. But it helps more to stay on top of them in the first place so that it doesn't require huge chunks of time to deal with them. Easier said than done, of course. But I'm trying. And when I tell myself (literally) to do it now, while I have a moment, while I'm thinking about it, it helps. I don't know why I put things off when it's often actually easier to just do it right then, but some of life's mysteries will never be resolved, I guess.
Anyway, I'm hoping that finding success with these smaller things will help me work on bigger things, like exercising. But I think I'll save that for another post. For now, if I can work on keeping the little things more manageable, then maybe I can find more time to focus on bigger things, like finally reading the photography book I bought last year, or making photo books, or making homemade bread, or reading more, or spending more QT with Ed. And maybe, just maybe, a little bit of success in changing my habits will be the boost that I need to FINALLY STOP BITING MY NAILS!!!! (I think this has been on my New Year's list of resolutions since 1985.)
5 comments:
I think you are a little too hard on yourself Beth. You act like you never make changes that stick. What about your menu planning, cooking great meals for your family, cutting back on food waste? This is a big one--like exercise and you did it.
I too let things pile up and put things on my list that NEVER get done. Before I had kids, I was not like this at all. I had lists, I was goal oriented, I crossed things off my list. I just had more time back then. I have wanted to put new music on my IPOD since 2006. Hasn't happened yet. Not one song.
I think recognizing that change is incremental and not an overnight process is key to making it work. I really loved the Simple mom link I sent you.
I worked on the template last night and really discovered some areas of goal making I hadn't even thought about putting out there.
And yes, having only a few goals rather than a long laundry list makes it possible when life get (or stays) busy. HA!
Wishing you lots of luck in 2011 to meet your goals but also to enjoy your boys, Ed, friends, and making the most of your time together.
GO BETH!
I print a to-do list every day so that I stay motivated. Once I sit on the couch, I'm DONE.
BB you do more than anyone I know. Hope you had a great holiday. Bob..........
So glad to know that I'm not the only one that never syncs their iPhone. I need to get better at that. I totally know how you feel about all the little stuff that get's pushed aside because...well, you know...just because. Good luck making some of those small changes that lead to the longer term changes.
As far as exercise goes. When I started 10+ years ago, it was just Andy and I taking a few slow walks each week. I'm so not a C25K kind of person. It was more like the decade to 5K for me. So, I say aim small.
Post a Comment