Friday, January 21, 2011

Show Me the Mommy--Or at Least, a Piece of the Mommy

One of my New Year's resolutions every. single. year. is to stop biting my nails. Obviously, I've never been successful with that one, but so far this year, I'm on the right track. I decided that if I'm going to make a commitment, I need to invest, so I'm trying to get a manicure every two weeks or so. I haven't bitten my nails since December 30, and here's how they look today, after a manicure:


Actually, this picture bums me out because my hands look so wrinkled and old. But what can I say, they're my hands. Anyway, three weeks of no nail biting is a big feat for me. It hasn't been as hard as I thought, but there are definitely lots of moments when the urge to nibble strikes. I'm trying to just take it one day at a time--just get through today--and I'll see where that takes me.

In other Mommy news, I'm still working on a full recovery, and went back to the doctor today. He added a steroid to my antibiotic and corticosteriod regimen, so hopefully, that will make the difference. I'm still coughing and still have nasal discharge and pain in my facial bones, although I'm much better than I was a week ago. The main problem now is that in all of my coughing, I managed to severely pull a muscle in my rib cage on the right side, and it kills whenever I cough, or move, or, you know, breathe.

William and Seth, meanwhile, seem fine health-wise. I think they are happy to be back into our regular routine. They have been spending lots of time lately building forts together and sharing all manner of adventures. Our sofa is pretty much totaled now because every time they're near it, there is some compulsion that drives them to remove all of the cushions and make a fort and jump from the coffee table to the sofa and back again. (Not to mention the chocolate milk and OJ stains and pen marks that cover just about every surface.) In some ways, I regret allowing them to tear it up so much, but on the other hand, to see their imaginations at work, to see the sofa as a train or a rocket ship or an excavator or a "nest," or whatever it may be each day brings a smile to my face and the conviction that a house is for living in. (And boy, is ours lived in!)

Anyway, looking forward to the weekend, and hoping that by next week, I'll be close to 100 percent again.

6 comments:

HeatherV said...

Love the girly-girl nails and what a motivation NOT to bite. OPI has a fake French color called "BubbleBath" that doesn't chip and looks great with everything.

Check it out for home retouches, it looks similar to your manicure.

Glad to hear you are on the mend and the boys are healthy.

Megan said...

Glad to hear you on the road to being back to you! And yay for not biting your nails! That is very big news! (As someone who does this too, I can appreciate this accomplishment!) Good for you! Hope your weekend is fun and you can just all rest!

Julie said...

Beautiful nails Beth, and pretty wedding ring too!

Our sofa is totaled as well for the exact same reason--all the cushions come off, Lana hides under them, climbs all over them, builds things with them. There is OJ, fruit stains, pen marks, water marks, all sorts of treasures under the cushions. I want to replace it, but not until Lacey is a bit older. Until then, we sit on the super uncomfortable smashed up, stained sofa. Life with kids!

Joanna said...

Great job with your nails. That's a hard habit to break after so many years. You should be proud.

As for your recovery, I'm so sorry you are still suffering. Having just been through it this fall, I can relate. It really, really sucks.

MJ said...

My mom and I were sick the entire winter break and she still has the pulled muscle thing. I hope you get better soon.

Your nails look great (especially since I've seen the "before" in person.)

Miss you.

Libby said...

I guess maybe one cocker spaniel equals two little boys in the "tear up the sofa" category. We had to get something else as it was virtually in shreds. I was afraid the Salvation Army wouldn't pick it up. Ended up with cheap leather sofa and love seat and I made a quilt type cover for each.