Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Never Been Sicker

Remember that "tickle" in the back of my throat that I thought I would ignore a week ago Monday? Yeah--that tickle turned into the flu with a side of bronchitis and a sinus infection. I've never felt so sick in my entire life. Ever. I begged Ed to take me to the hospital so they could give me a narcotic to knock me out. It was bad.

But let me back up a little. When last I left you, William had been sick on Sunday and still had a fever on Monday. In the wee hours of Tuesday morning (4:30 a.m.) Seth woke up and threw up. And then threw up every 30 minutes for 2 hours. I woke up with a very hoarse voice, but otherwise felt okay. I went to work and Ed stayed home with the boys. Seth didn't throw up anymore, and only ran a slight fever. William was much better. By the time I got home from work, though, I had started feeling run down. Overnight, William started coughing. On Wednesday, I stayed home with the boys, but I went from bad to worse. I was coughing a lot, and had started feeling achy. Seth was completely recovered, but William started coughing A LOT. By 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday, I was lying on the couch in a fetal position while the boys wreaked havoc in the house. At 6:00, I couldn't take it anymore and went upstairs and got in bed. I have no idea what the boys were doing. Fortunately, Ed got home shortly after that. Wednesday night, Thursday, and Thursday night were the worst. I was in so much pain from the fever and my sinuses and coughing that I couldn't sleep. I was alternating ibuprofen and acetimenophin and it wasn't helping. I was miserable. On Thursday, Ed took Seth to school but kept William home because of his cough. On Friday, I rallied a bit and went to the doctor. She didn't confirm whether or not I had the flu, but said it was definitely possible. She diagnosed bronchitis and a sinus infection and prescribed antibiotics which we picked up right away. She also put me on Flonase.

On Saturday, the fever was finally gone and I felt much better. But I just wanted to sleep. Ed's parents graciously agreed to keep the boys overnight, so I drove them to Ed's office (halfway to his parents) and his parents' met us there and we switched cars. I still didn't get a whole lot of sleep, but it was so nice to get a break from the boys. I went to Ed's parents on Sunday afternoonto pick up the boys and stayed for dinner. Once we got home and I got in bed, though, I started coughing again. And coughing, and coughing. The sinus infection was killing me and I was worried that the antibiotics weren't working. I felt pretty miserable on Monday, too, but we got through it. And by Monday night, I turned a corner. All is right with the world again. (For the most part.)

I learned some important lessons while I was sick, though.

1. I could be lying on the floor bleeding, gasping for air, and William would ask me to get him some chocolate milk.
2. My kids are way, way, way too attached to me. On Wednesday and Thursday night, Ed had to do the bath/books/bed routine by himself, and you'd think he was torturing the boys. They cried and cried and cried for me. They couldn't understand why I couldn't read to them and tuck them in if I was in the next room. I know it's not like that when I'm out of town or out of the house, but again, I could be bleeding and gasping for air, but there is hell to pay if I don't read a bedtime story.
3. My kids are way, way, way too attached to me. They would not do anything unless I was in the room with them. They wouldn't even watch TV without me there. Don't even think about asking them to play in the basement unless I plan to go down there with them. It made me CRAZY.
4. William will get tired of TV eventually. I thought this could never happen, but after a full week of TV all day, even he wanted to turn it off and play with toys.
5. I will never get tired of Wonder Pets or Kipper. The accents on Kipper kill me!
6. I can get tired of Caillou and Bob the Builder.

So there you have it. I'm just glad it's over and we can move on. My house is disgusting and needs to be cleaned, but for now, I just need to get through each day and figure out what's for dinner. Last week's plan went to hell in a handbasket, and I'm not even sure there's anything salvageable. I did manage to do laundry and wash all the sheets and pillow cases on all the beds. So that's enough, I guess. Maybe this weekend, I can go back to being productive. In the meantime, I just want to go to bed!

9 comments:

Lindsay said...

LOTs of compassion from me! So sorry you had to go through all of that. Isn't it amazing how life falls apart when Mommy is sick?

HeatherV said...

Oh honey. What a craptastic week. all good thoughts that find you healthy again.

May I recommend a steady diet of Sid the Science Kid in Place of Wonder Pets, which after Yo Gabba Gabba and Jo Jo's Circus are prove that you will get time off in Hell.

Good non-sick thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Graet to see your doing better. Get some rest so you can fully recover. My boy's had the same thing last week. Luckly, I didn't get it. (so far). Bob.....

Megan said...

Oh my god, Beth! That sounds horrible! Down and out for a whole week! Geez! I'm so glad you got some relief from Ed's parents and that you were able to get through it! You got the flu shot and still got the flu? Man! It is so bad to be sick but so bad too when little people NEED us. It makes it so much worse! So glad you are ok (now!). hang in there. Don't push too much to 'catch up'. The dirt will still be there!

LauraC said...

I seriously had to laugh that #2 AND #3 were that your kids are too attached to you! Hope you feel better soon!

Joanna said...

I'm sorry you have been so sick. That's what happened to me in the fall, and it was horrible. The fact that Michael, like your boys, didn't care if I was dying made it that much harder. Here you already feel horrible, and then you feel guilty because you can't get up to get the little buggers milk.

It's true, moms don't get sick days.

Heather said...

Oh my goodness, Beth, what a wreck! I'm so glad you're feeling better. I'm laughing my ass off at the attachment part, though, cause Sadie is the exact same way. Your story remind me of when Kyle was 3 and I had just taken my new sales job. I had to go to California for 3 weeks (yep, 3 long weeks), and John got the flu in the middle of it. Home alone with the flu and a needy 3-year-old who missed his mommy. Poor guy.

Hope you can go to bed early all week and get caught up on your rest!

Julie said...

Ugh that sounds MISERABLE! I hope you are on the mend finally. Yeah, my kids are also way too attached to mommy. We have Bill and I alternating putting Lana to sleep in case I have a meeting or something or if I am sick (I get sick all the time)--this way its not an aberration to routine if he has to do it. Even so, Lana whines every time that Bill has to do it--i.e. every other day and cheers YAY when its my turn. Good golly.

Wonder Pets don't drive you nuts? I fricken hate Ming Ming, with a passion.

Anonymous said...

Oh My Beth, I feel so bad that you were so very sick, it's horrible to be so sick! I am glad that you are on the mend though. I hope all of you stay that way for a long while. Please give the boys a hug from us and a "Hi" to Ed. Take care and stay healthy! Love and miss all of you!