Wednesday, May 05, 2010

My More-than-Part-Time Job for which I Don't Get Paid

I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned on my blog that I'm currently serving on our daycare center's board of directors. I was elected in November '09, and my 2-year term started in January. It's a lot of work. A LOT of work. I serve as the scholarship chair, so I'm in charge of doling out tuition assistance to those in need. Except our center hasn't had any applications for tuition assistance since 2006. So instead, I'm in charge of organizing the spring Teacher Appreciation Week (which has been going on this week), and the annual summer picnic, and the annual holiday party. I also get tapped for various other duties, such as coming up with a records retention policy for the center, and taking minutes in the absence of the secretary (who is currently on maternity leave).

Our board has had a very busy spring, and we're currently in the throes of deciding whether or not to renew our director's contract. It's a very, very tough decision, and we have been meeting with each other, with different groups of faculty, and with parents, trying to determine the best course for the center. To say that this job has been all-consuming would be an understatement. I have always been very involved in what's going on at the center. Our center is very much like a school, and parents are required to give 3 volunteer hours of service per month to the school. There are lots of get-togethers for parents, lots of opportunities to meet and interact. It helps that most of the parents work only a block from the school, and it definitely fosters a sense of community among the parents.

But wow. Sometimes, it overwhelms me. Mostly though, it's a good thing. Even a great thing. I know every single one of the teachers in the school and have a good relationship with each of them. There are 55 families with kids in the school, and I probably know at least 40 of them. I have met some really awesome people and have developed some really strong friendships. I am learning so much about management, conflict resolution, and budget processes. It has been a great experience so far, even though it gets contentious and uncomfortable and, well, overwhelming. So 4 months down, 20 months to go. I hope when all is said and done, I can point to positive changes that I helped to enact while I was here. Time will tell!

6 comments:

HeatherV said...

Just a couple of thought on what you just posted to me:

Teaching an online course this summer that I *hope* allows me to not be back. Ben is going to the Y this summer.

no they didn't kick them out. I didn't even think they would!

on your post, as someone who knows first hand that the amount of time it takes to spend on the final product (running NHS which I am thankfully giving up at the end of this year) but also as a teacher who appreciates geting something postive out of my job from parents.

THANK YOU for being the kind of parent who steps up to help when many others take a pass thinking someone else will step up. I hope no gingerbread houses will be created this go round.

happy mothers day to you!

Lindsay said...

You make me tired. =b

Anonymous said...

Beth you are a very amazing woman! I can't believe all that you do and even though you doubt yourself sometimes, I am in awe of you! Keep up the good work that you do in every aspect of you life.

Joanna said...

Dude, that sounds exhausting. There is no way I could pull that off. You should be very proud that you are doing this.

MJ said...

How awesome are you? I love how you get involved. Teachers appreciate the parents like you.

Julie said...

Wow Beth, where do you find the time to take this on? I am on the Board of Directors for our Children's Museum and its challenging finding the time to meet my responsibilities and I do not have a full time job! I will agree with you on the eye-opening aspect and the learning experience. I love doing it even though I feel totally inept sometimes. Its great that the decisions you make have such a direct impact not only on your family but with the other families as well. Kudos to you!