Thank you all so much for your comments on my last post. It really meant a lot and helped lift my mood. I thought of the irony of my post title, "Coming Up Empty," considering how full my life is. I am blessed beyond belief and even when it's hard, my struggles pale in comparison. So much so that to call them struggles is even laughable. It's all relative, right? Anyway, a low-key weekend and lots of time with my boys (all three of them) has made the world right again.
We didn't do anything special--lots of errands and hanging around the house. Seth accompanied me to the grocery store. William accompanied me to Target. The boys helped Ed cut the grass and rake. Seth helped me dust. On Sunday we met Ed's mom and aunt at the mall. While Ed and his mom took the boys to the play area, I went to Nordstrom's and got fitted for bras. Who knew a bra-fitting could make me feel so elated! After that I met the family at Build-a-bear, where Ed's mom indulged the boys. William picked out the candy corn bear and a Darth Vader costume, and then he named his bear "Sarah." Seth picked out a frog and a fireman costume. We named him "Froggy." William is crazy about his Darth Vader Sarah. She's a good guy, according to William. And Seth just likes to take Froggy's fireman outfit off. Too funny.
So that was basically our weekend. I got a little bit of dusting done. And I vacuumed one room. I changed the sheets on our bed. And I did laundry. I've made peace with my cleaning efforts. I've learned to accept that piecemeal cleaning works best for me. And it helps that my standards for cleanliness have gone way, way down. I'll clean out a toilet here and a sink there. Vacuum a room here and dust something there. The house is hardly ever clean all at once (unless we're having company) but it doesn't matter. Thanks to Ed, things are neat and tidy. And maybe the kitchen floor isn't as clean as it should be, but the dishes go in the dishwasher and the counters stay relatively clean. It's good enough. When we move into a house, I will definitely look into budgeting for a cleaning service. But we're getting by just fine without one.
Next weekend will be busy. Dentists appointments and a birthday party and breaking the fast for Yom Kippur at Ed's mom's cousin's house. I can't get over how quickly the middle of September has gotten here. How are we already talking about apple picking and Halloween costumes and which fall festival we want to attend? I love the fall though, so I'm okay with it. Just like the summer, though, I want to make sure we make the most of it. Easier said than done, right?
3 comments:
Darth Vadar Sarah is hilarious!
I am just now reading Coming Up Empty and I could write volumes. Actually it's likely going to be a post about the whole transition to part time, figuring out what I want to do with this year, finally having to admit I couldn't do it all. Blah, Blah about me, this is YOUR post.
I will say this, never shortchange any time you can spend with your family. Nothing else, other than taking also care of yourself comes close to the almighty woulda, coulda, shoulda game of blaming ourselves for not doing it all.
Glad you had a good weekend and YES finding a bra that fits is worth it. I found mine at the Penny Rich Bra Patch here in Raleigh. Just say that and not laugh!
BB, I am happy that things are better. Bob....
Post a Comment