Sunday, September 19, 2010

Where Have I Been?

Just busy doing other things. Ed was out of town last week, from Tuesday morning until late Friday night. Things weren't too bad while he was gone, but I was tired. I had a really hard time getting us out the door in the mornings, but that was more because we all slept a little later rather than because Ed wasn't there. Once the kids were asleep and the house cleaned up, I spent my evening time reading and zoning out on Facebook, rather than blogging. There really wasn't much to blog about.

And there still isn't a whole lot to blog about. But I hate going too long without posting because then it gets too easy not to blog. And while there are a lot of reasons why I blog, mostly I want to remember. Even the stuff that seems so mundane and boring today will be something I will be glad to read 20 years from now. So with that in mind, I will do my usual weekend report.

We had a busy, busy weekend. On Saturday morning, we all went to Taekwondo together. After that, William and I had dentist appointments (we were supposed to go on a Friday, but they rescheduled on a Saturday--I'll take it!). William did great, as usual. Seth watched him for a little while and then went back to the waiting room and hung out with Daddy. He came back in towards the end, and after William was done, the hygenist asked Seth if he wanted his teeth cleaned. Seth said yes, climbed into the chair, and put on the paper bib, but when the hygenist started to get the toothpaste ready, he had second thoughts and immediately wanted down. I guess that's a taste of things to come!

Anyway, when William was done, Ed took William to a birthday party (in the same shopping center as my dentist's office--how convenient is that?) and Seth stayed with me for my appointment. He kept wandering in and out of the room, though, so it was kind of a hassle. I had to get up to go after him a few times. I noticed that the hygenist started cleaning my teeth really quickly about halfway through the appointment. LOL! After I was done, Seth and I joined William and Ed at the birthday party. After spending the afternoon at home, we headed to a  family party to break the fast for Yom Kippur. William had a FIT about having to wear a nice shirt. "Nice" meaning a polo shirt, from which I had removed the buttons. (He still has a thing about buttons.) Seth, meanwhile, was thrilled to wear a shirt like Daddy, along with a belt. He wanted everyone to see his belt. Too cute. Once we got to the party, both boys had a great time, and William conceded that wearing "nice" clothes wasn't so bad after all. ('Till the next time I have to dress him up, I'm sure.)

Today was grocery shopping, laundry, cleaning, washing cars, and playing at home. Last week I bought Moon Sand for the boys to play with, and I opened it on Saturday. Holy messy. We moved it outside to the deck, where they played with it quite a bit today. Today I pulled out my 15-year-old lap top computer for the boys to play with. All day, Seth kept saying, "I need to check my computer." He pronounces it, "compooder." It's so cute. While Seth napped, William lugged the laptop (that thing is heavy!) into his room and sat in his bed doing "work." They crack me up! William and I also made a dream catcher with a paper plate, yarn, beads, and feathers. I might do the project with his class at school if it fits into their curriculum. William will tell me a lot that he doesn't want to dream, so I thought a dreamcatcher might ease his mind.

Well, that's about it. Work is getting busier and busier with the elections approaching and all the crazy-ass people running for the Senate. I maintain a whole bunch of stastistical information about the Senate, including elections, and we're getting lots and lots of questions about things like record number of incumbents defeated, record freshman class size, special elections and when terms start, etc. etc. So needless to say, I'll continue to be busy for a while. I love it, though--the crazier, the better! In the meantime, I'll keep working on being more organized at home, which starts with a little more prep work the night before for the morning crush. So that's what I'm going to do. Hopefully I'll find more inspiring fodder for blog posts this week!

4 comments:

HeatherV said...

Not inspiring?? Say what?

I would love to be a fly on the wall this fall with all the uproar with midterms.

YOU HAVE MY DREAM JOB (minus editing :-)

Bill and I SO want to come to DC for the Colbert/Stewart "Return to Sanity" rally next month, but then we remember we have kids who wouldn't find it entertaining hanging out on the Mall all weekend.

Thank you for kind thoughts from Friday post. I cannot tell you how glad I took this leap of faith.

Back to work posting progress reports before midnight. BUT- I'm doing it drinking wine and eating sushi from dinner out, all while listening to a backlog of NPR on podcast.

Can't say I could do any of that with my prior job.

Have a fab week!

Megan said...

We love your blog! I love the dreamcatcher idea to get rid of bad dreams. Good for you!

Seren does 'work' on her laptop too. Lots of typing. Good stuff! Oh, to think that our generation didn't even have computers really until high school/college! Nuts! happy Monday!

Julie said...

I too love reading about what's going on in your household--however mundane you perceive it to be, we all have similar ups, downs and lulls.

I have been having trouble finding the time, energy and inspiration to blog. I love to do it, I miss doing it, but when I do get both kids in bed at night, I am tired and all I want to do is zone out mindlessly to silly tv. I want to try to carve out some time during the day, but that has not been easy either. Plus I am so backlogged from the summer with household tasks.

Joanna said...

I love the little gems in posts like this, like William and the buttons and Seth and aborted teeth cleaning. What character!