Thursday, September 02, 2010

How Is It Already September?

I'm in a treading water, can't-seem-to-catch-up phase right now. The morning scramble has been such a hassle lately. I can't figure out why I go through phases where the mornings run smoothly and we get out the door pretty early, and then phases where it seems to take FOREVER to get out the door, and by the time I get in the car, I'm exhausted and stressed and spent. I guess the good thing is, it's a phase!

In other news, well, there isn't really any news. Work is busy. We've got one more week of recess where I get to leave work early, and then it's back to later days. Boo for that. It's been nice to come home and play for a while with the boys before starting dinner.

We're still house hunting, but Ed is pretty convinced that prices will start falling again, so we're taking a wait-and-see attitude. We saw a house that we LOVE in a neighborhood not far from us. It's in a good school district, but the boundaries are pretty strange, and all the houses around it feed into a different school. So the area could easily be redistricted in the future. The schools that it could be redistricted to aren't bad--not quite as good as its current schools, but not bad--so that's not a deal breaker. But they've got the house listed way too high. It's the second-most expensive house in the zip code, and the most expensive in the neighborhood. We're not making that mistake again. And since we really want to be closer to Ed's job, and this house is not, we're going to keep looking. If they dramatically lower the price, we may consider it. The house is exactly the kind of house we want, and we won't find a house like this in neighborhoods closer to Ed's job. But, for now we'll wait.

The boys are doing well. I feel like I referee all day, but I guess that's part of the Mom job. For the most part, they get along well, so I shouldn't complain. And I'm not even around them all day most days, so I really shouldn't complain!

This will be the last weekend that the pool will be open, so I want to take advantage of it. I had planned to take the boys back to the pool with the water fountains, slides, and sand area this weekend. But the weather is supposed to turn cool on Saturday and Sunday. So I'm taking them tomorrow instead. I get out of work at 3:00, and even though we won't have a whole lot of time to play, at least it will be something. On Sunday or Monday, we might head into DC and try to get tickets to the Washington Monument. William has been wanting to go inside ever since he could identify the monument, but it's a pain to get tickets. You can reserve them online, but the "free" tickets end up costing $1.50 each and they sell out really fast. So instead, you can go to the ticket booth at 8:30 a.m. and get timed, same-day tickets. So that's what I want to do. But the annoying thing is that the museums and other attractions don't open until 10:00 a.m., so you have to kill some time. But DC is a beautiful city and it's pretty to walk around. So we may aim to do that on Sunday or Monday morning. William also wants to go see the tee-pees at the Native American Museum, which is right next to Air and Space. So we will have plenty to do.

Wow--this post got boring fast. That about sums up my life right now. I'm feeling this need to make major changes in my life, but my lack of motivation and total inertia just keeps me spinning the wheel. Ugh. For now, I'm just trying to get through each day. I need to think baby steps. Well, that, and more sleep would probably help. On that note, I'm going to bed.

4 comments:

HeatherV said...

Yeah, I'm with you sister. It's been NUTS here with the new section of online starting with drop/adds and contacting kids/schools this week. 2nd night in a row to be working at 1 am :-( and I have a 7:30am tutoring session I just wrote a bunch of review for.

Major goal for the weekend is just to get a blog post written.

Have a fab 3 day weekend and Ed's right, it all will fall into place.

good night (or good morning)

LauraC said...

Oh Beth, that's how I felt ALL THE TIME before part-time. It seemed like right when we caught up, something happened to throw us back off schedule.

Sorry you haven't found a house yet. We just watched a House Hunters DC yesterday and Jon was shocked at how expensive the houses were. I told him I was not shocked since you guys are trying to buy one!

I'm emailing you right now some other news.

Anonymous said...

BB, the DC trip sounds great. Our schools are not the best so I take mine with me to SCP. Good luck with the house hunt! Get some rest this weekend. Bob....

Megan said...

What I absolutely love about your blog is how real it is. Life isn't all roses. I always feel inspired after reading them because life isn't perfect! And you do a good job of balancing the real parts with the good parts! And most of the time, the 'real' parts are the good parts. Anyway, I hear ya. SOmetimes I just feel like a limp rag going through the motions. Exhausted. Parenting for all of its blessings is sometimes just relentless. Here is hoping to good house hunting this weekend! And a great time in DC!