Tuesday, September 21, 2010

It's a Start

I have struggled to work exercise into my life and have never found something I can stick with. In my pre-teens and early teens, I took ballet which I enjoyed. And I swam on a summer swim team from age 8 to about age 14. In high school, I played volleyball my junior year, but that was it for organized sports. In college I tried running, but I never got into it. I took ballet and tap my senior year and enjoyed getting in shape again. And when I moved to DC, I lived with girls who worked out regularly so I dabbled in the gym a bit. For a while I took a Jazzercise class. And then I joined Curves. I liked them both, but they both lasted about 3 months before I quit. I enjoyed (and still enjoy) walking, but never formed a consistent habit. And now with kids and full time work, it seems impossible to include exercise into my routine.

But I can't stop trying. Up until now, I've been very lucky that my genes and my metabolism have kept me thin. I gained a lot of weight with both pregnancies (35-40 lbs), but lost the weight quickly with no true effort on my part. And while my weight and distrubution have fluctuated over time, it's never really been an issue. But over the last several months, I've put on weight that doesn't seem to want to fluctuate. And more important than my weight is my health, my energy level, and my stress level. Not to mention the fact that I am a role model for my kids.

So I am trying again. I tried joining the gym at work and working out during lunch, but that didn't work for many reasons. Getting up early might be an option later, but right now, I barely get enough sleep as it is, so I figured it would be self-defeating to give up more sleep for exercise. That leaves the nighttime. During the summer, it sometimes worked to take a walk right after the boys' bath--usually with William. But now that it's getting dark at 7:30, the evening walks don't work. It would be great to have a treadmill or elliptical machine in our house that I could use. But I can't spend that kind of money when I've never been able to sustain an exercise routine. So my new effort involves a workout video. Specifically, Jillian Michaels 30-day Shred. It's 20 minutes a day, for 30 days.Start small, right?  I can do it at 9:00 at night, and I can do it just about anywhere that I can carry my laptop. It's a little premature to claim success, considering I'm only on day 2. But it feels good to sweat, to have sore muscles, and to have overcome my inertia.

So wish me luck and cheer me on. Hold me accountable. Maybe this one will stick.

7 comments:

LauraC said...

I think it's hard to find the thing that will stick! I keep writing down on my to-do list every day to "lift weights" but every day I don't do it because I hate it so much. Thus, I run, because I enjoy running.

Can't believe I will see you next Friday!!

HeatherV said...

Totally cheering you on. I'm sure Jillian will also *encourage* you :-)

Seriously I have to treat exercise as an appointment with myself at the same time each day.

Funny, I was going to write a long meaning exercise post tonight, but the opted for a topic with a pic of Levar Burton!

Anonymous said...

You can do it!! It is awesome!! My sis had amazing success with it!!

Looking forward to a follow up post!

p.s. I LOVED going to Jazzercise as well!

Megan said...

yay Beth! Go Beth! We'll bug you about it for sure! And hopefully your enthusiasm will rub off on me! Good for you!

Julie said...

I am just like you--I want to find something that I like, and I keep trying but I can't seem to sustain any meaningful exercise routine. I also want to exercise for the same reasons as you do, not necessarily for weight loss, but for overall health, energy, stress reduction, etc. I am cheering you on for sure! When it works for you, maybe I will even give it a try! Keep us posted!!

Candy said...

I keep wishing I'll turn into one of those folks who love exercise... and it keeps not happening. ;) My most successful exercise habit was back in 2007, when I started watching series of shows from Netflix while on my exercise bike (which my ex left when he took off.) Now my bike sits forlornly in the tv room, and I do pet it occasionally when I walk by... but that's about it. Congrats on you starting a program! Starting one is key to completing one! :)

MJ said...

Checking in...I miss you. We're too busy. You can do the exercise thing!