Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Another Adventurous Evening

My oldest sister and her husband are in town from Portland, OR, and they have never met William, so tonight, William and I met them downtown at their hotel for dinner. My original plan was to have them meet us at a restaurant close to William's daycare, right around William's normal dinnertime (6:00 p.m.). That didn't really work, though, because my sister had to be on a conference call from 5:00 to 6:00. So after some initial fumbling (I went to my car and got the stroller and diaper bag before getting William from daycare because we were going to walk to the restaurant, but when I got to William's room, I realized I had left the cell phone in the car. So William and I went back to the car to get the cell phone, only to realize that it wasn't charged, so I couldn't make a call. So then we walked to my office so I could call my sister), I decided we would get in the car (which required us to walk back to the daycare building where I park my car) and go to my sister's hotel and meet them there. So we finally get there at 6:00 and William was okay after having a bottle and some goldfish (he got a leetle testy in the car), so we hung out in the lobby with my brother in law, waiting for my sister to get off the call. Around 6:45, I asked my BIL if we could go ahead and go and have my sister meet us at the restaurant, so that was fine. We get to the restaurant, William is fine, I order his dinner right away, my sister gets there, William's food arrives, he happily eats his food and shares his sweet potato fries with us. But of course, he's done eating before our food even arrives, and not wanting to stay in his high chair. He's pretty easy to entertain while I hold him, though, and my sister and her husband get to eat. I take a few bites, but honestly, I'm not even that hungry, so it wasn't a big deal that I didn't really get to eat.

So we get back to the hotel at around 8:00 and William is still great--laughing, playing with my sister, having a ball. And he's even pretty good on the car ride home, and didn't fall asleep until 8:30, right before we got home. At home we went straight upstairs and I changed him into his jammies (after wiping him down with wipes) and he had another bottle and went right to sleep. Amazing! I'm always expecting the worst, and always pleasantly surprised. He loved his aunt and uncle, too, which was fun to see. He's usually pretty shy and clings to me, but he seemed to like them right away.

So that was our evening, proving once again that William is a very flexible and easy-going kid. I know I can't always expect it to be this way, but it sure is nice for now!

2 comments:

LJ said...

I have the same experience when we go out with LMJ. I'm expecting the worst but she's always great. Well behaved children in restaraunts are a reflection of the superior skills of the parents. Badly behaved children in restaraunts are a reflection of the wait staff. That's hard science. There have been studies done.

MJ said...

Wow...you've really been out on the town lately with William.
I'd write more but this week has been quite an adjustment! love you,
mj