Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Risky Ventures

Well, William must have understood that I mean business now, because he managed to sleep through the night. It was only for a little more than 9 hours because he woke up for the day at 5:20 a.m., but hey--I'll take it. We'll see how tonight goes.

Speaking of tonight, instead of our usual routine of coming home from work, playing, eating, taking a bath, and going to bed, we made a pit stop at the mall on the way home and ate dinner at Ruby Tuesday's--just the two of us! I really needed to pick up a shower gift at the mall, and rather than waiting until William's bedtime to go (and thus not getting to bed until well after 10:00 p.m.), I decided to take the risk and see if I could make it work. And all in all, he did really really well. I probably won't do it again any time soon, and even then, only if I have to, but it's nice that it wasn't a disaster. He got a little impatient as we waited for the store clerk to track down a piece of luggage I needed to buy, and dinner was a little tricky because I couldn't very well leave the table and all our stuff to let him walk around a little. But the waitress was quick and I let him drink some Coke and he loved the mac 'n' cheese I ordered for him, so all was good. It was definitely tricky maneuvering the stroller and the large piece of luggage I purchased (for a shower gift--I hope the bride doesn't mind slightly-used wheels!), and any thoughts I might have entertained about checking out shoes or jeans for me or possibly even visiting the book store flew right out the window. Fortunately, we made it home in time for William to spend a little time playing with daddy.

In other news, William didn't use his bottles today at daycare! He actually drank from a real cup, too (a cup with no lid!). They're really working him now because in the toddler room, they drink from real cups and they don't get bottles or pacis. He'll be transitioning in September sometime (I think), so it's exciting to see some progress. I'm a little torn as to whether or not I should try to eliminate the bottle entirely, or still let him have it in the car and at night. I'll just have to play it by ear for now.

So that's our news. Let's hope for another good night!

1 comment:

MJ said...

I'm so impressed. I was just out yesterday with the baby (in and out of the car three separate times with the stroller) and I was going to write a post about how hard it is to get around with a baby. Strollers are heavy. For the last store, I had to put her in the Bjorn. Dinner for two! That's so cute...MJ