Thursday, August 30, 2007

Getting Better

Things seem to be going a little better here, now that the end of the week is close. Ed even rented a movie for us to watch tonight after William went to bed. That's promising, right? Yesterday was William's 15-month well visit. He's still a peanut, but he jumped the curve in height. He weighs 21.5 lbs and is 31 inches tall. Everything looked good, and I'm relieved that his cold didn't turn into anything worse. That's very promising, given his episodes of wheezing and his allergies.

We've seen progress this week in the sleep category, too. It hasn't been too difficult, fortunately. Otherwise, I'm not sure I'd be able to follow through. But there hasn't been any long bouts of crying. The last two nights, he's woken up once, cried for 5 minutes, and gone back to sleep. His naps have been shorter than usual this week, but I'm hoping that won't become the norm. Hopefully when he gets back to daycare, he'll go back to two-hour naps. Ed hasn't made much progress with the bottles, but I'm not going to worry about that quite yet. I'm pretty confident that they can stop using bottles at daycare, whether or not we stop them at home. Let me get through this sleeping thing, and then maybe we'll work on bottles more seriously.

I have two close friends who might go into labor any day now, so I'm really anxious and hopeful for both of them. One is a few weeks early, and one is about a week late. Makes me think back to my "last days" and makes me slightly nostalgic for another baby. It's the second baby for both of them, and I wonder if they're thinking about what they'll do differently this time around. I know I think about that all the time--how I might be different, how the baby might be different than William, but how you don't really know until it happens. Just like parenthood in general--you think you know how you'll feel and act, and you know what kind of parent you want to be, but parenting is such a fluid concept. No--not concept. It's an ever-changing state of being. You can tell it's late because I'm being philosophical and not making any sense. But I am looking forward to trying again. And I really really hope my friends have fast, easy, and uneventful deliveries!

1 comment:

LauraC said...

Glad to hear things are going more smoothly... Ed will probably be happy to get some help over Labor Day weekend!

I also wonder what I would do differently if I had to do it all over again. I would probably line up more help, which says a lot since we had two months of people staying here! I also would have let guests do more night feedings... someone told me there's no prize for no sleep and I didn't listen to them.

Have a great Labor Day weekend!