William has this thing about buttons. The thing is, he will not wear anything with buttons. Sometimes, he will wear pants with a button closure, but that is rare. As for shirts, no button-downs, no henleys, no polos. It makes it kind of hard to dress him up. Today, his class is having a special performance for the parents, and the kids are supposed to wear their "Sunday best." So guess who was running around at 9:00 p.m. last night, looking for Sunday best clothes for her son who refuses to wear buttons? That's right. Me.
I went to Target first (I also needed to pick up birthday presents for Seth, whose birthday is in TWO DAYS!) but found nothing. I guess after Easter, no one buys "Sunday best" clothes anymore. So then I went to Kohls. They had polos, so I thought MAYBE William would consent to a shirt with only two buttons. I also found a clearance outfit with a sweater vest, button-down shirt, and pants. I didn't need the button-down or pants, but the vest was cute, and since it was clearance, I went ahead and bought the outfit.
This morning, I showed William the vest and shirt. At first, he refused to wear it. But then I offered to remove the buttons from the polo shirt. Voila--problem solved. He's wearing the polo and vest with khaki pants (elastic-waist, with velcro-closed cargo pockets). And he looks pretty darn handsome. Hopefully I'll get a picture during his performance. If I do, I'll come back and post it. I had wanted to take a picture of him this morning, but I thought I better not push my luck!

4 comments:
Too funny. I was going to suggest removing the buttons; glad that worked for you! I wonder what his deal is with buttons?
OMG! I thought that Michael was the only one who refused to wear buttons. I know EXACTLY what you mean about trying to find some nice clothes for them to wear. I have definitely done the sweater vest/shirt before to hide the buttons. It's a little better with the pants. Genius idea taking off the buttons....wish I would have thought of that.
LOL. I knew Karen would have a comment for you. So far, buttons haven't hit Michael's radar, and I hope they never do.
What a riot! So glad you came up with a solution. It is so funny the things kids (and be extension, us) obsess about. Hope the event was fun!
Post a Comment