Seth's party was awesome! Having my mom there was pure genius. My stress level going into the party was close to nil, even though it had been a pretty busy week. I managed to do everything I wanted to do, and I didn't have to stay up all night to do it. I stayed up late, mind you, but not all night. Mom did all the shopping on Friday. I decorated the cake Friday night and then did some simple cleaning--decluttered, dusted, cleaned bathrooms, spot cleaned the kitchen floor. Saturday morning, we were all up early. The boys played in the basement while I finished cleaning. Ed vacuumed and got the kids picnic table ready. Then he took William to go pick up sandwiches, balloons, and ice. I showered, cleaned our bedroom, and got things set up, with help from my mom. We cleaned up the playroom and then waited for the guests to arrive.
Since it was drizzling outside off and on, we had an inside party. Seven of Seth's friends descended on the basement, with parents in tow, of course. It's times like that when I'm glad we have an overabundance of toys. It worked out great. I got to stay downstairs and chat with all the parents while my mom and Ed's parents made mac-n-cheese and chicken nuggets for the kids and set everything up for lunch. We moved upstairs a little before noon and everyone ate. Then we cleared the plates and cups away and sang "Happy Birthday" to Seth. Except Seth wasn't real keen on doing the whole cake thing. So William filled in for him and happily blew out the candles.
I was having such a good time talking with all the guests that I only managed two pictures
William, right after he blew out the candles.
And Seth, while William was blowing out the candles:
After the guests left, Seth took a two-hour nap, Ed took William to his parents', and Mom and I cleaned up. I even got to take a little nap myself. All in all, it was a great day.
Sunday wasn't too bad, either. We went to IHOP for breakfast. The boys didn't eat very much, but they were pretty good. Then we went to Target to look for sleeping bags and camping gear. I decided that we would skip swim class, mostly because I didn't feel like swimming. I had a headache all day, and William was acting pretty tired. So we went home. William started acting really tired, so I took him upstairs and read him several books and told him he needed to take a nap. This hasn't actually worked in about 6 months--he never falls asleep, he talks and plays and makes noise the whole time, and it's not worth risking Seth waking up, so I don't even try to enforce "quiet time." But today, William actually fell asleep and slept for two hours. That was clue number one.
When he woke up, he wasn't grumpy. But he said his tummy hurt. I thought he was probably hungry, but he didn't want to eat anything. Clue number two. He was in a good mood, though, so we played outside. I took a bunch of pictures.
Then Mom and I took both boys to the grocery store. William sat in the cart the whole time. Clue number three. When we got home, William said his tummy hurt again. Ed was holding him, sitting on the chair in the living room. As I walked out to get groceries from the car, I told Ed, "You better watch out. He's going to throw up on you." When I walked back in, William was in the bathroom and Ed was standing with a look of disgust on his face. He said, "Your boy just threw up on me." I took William's temperature and it was 101.5. Poor guy! He was acting fine, though. He said, "I'm okay, Mommy. I just threw up and now I feel better." He sat on the couch and watched Star Wars and then took a bath with Seth and did the normal bedtime routine. At bedtime, I could tell he wasn't feeling great, and he fell asleep right away. So we'll see what the night brings. Ed will stay home with him tomorrow. I can only hope the rest of us don't get sick, and that the bug is short-lived.
So that was our weekend, the good and the not so good. I wish William wasn't sick, but I can't complain!
4 comments:
oh man! A stomach bug!? Yuck! Lets hope your night was quiet!! And that you guys escape. Geez. Your take on the party sounds awesome- cool as a cucumber! No stress here, move on! :>) That is great. So glad that despite not wanting to blow out the candles, Seth's brother had his back. :) Lets hope for a good week for you all!
Great Elmo cake and kudos for a party at home. No more after our giant waterslide and 40 poeple last summer. Love that Ed threw out the, "your boy threw up on me" line. Sounds like a good weekend even with the sickness.
Your party sounded great! No stress and so much fun you forgot to take photos.
As for the stomach bug, well you know my position on the pukes, so I am sending you good vibes that the rest of you stay healthy. I sure hope William is feeling better today, poor little dude.
I hope William is well. :) After all, there's camping coming up. The cake was awesome. You're so good.
Post a Comment