Wednesday, April 21, 2010

"Oink-Oink"

William's class performance was adorable. The kids waited in the hall while the parents gathered in the classroom. Once we were all settled, the kids filed in one by one and took their places in a semicircle on the "stage" (the carpeted area of their classroom). When William walked in, he didn't see us at first. Ed was able to get away from work to watch the show, and William had no idea he was coming. So when he did spot us, his eyes got wide and he grinned ear-to-ear and couldn't stop grinning.

Then the kids started singing. Except for William. At first he just looked around with a smile frozen on his face. Then he started oinking. Like a pig. While all the other kids sang, my kid oinked. And not just quietly. It was loud. And he thought it was hysterical. That's our boy!

I guess it was his version of stage fright. I know he knew the song, because he sang it for us the night before. I think he was just shocked to see Ed there, and a little overwhelmed by the sight of all the parents. I can't really blame him. I got stage fright, too.So my kid oinked while the other kids sang and then recited a poem. All the parents clapped, and then we had tea sandwiches and ice cream sundaes.The best part for William was that he got to go home early with Daddy. He and Ed got Seth from his class, and they went home while I went back to work.

We've asked William a few times why he oinked during the performance. He just goes all silly and I think he gets a little embarrassed. Poor guy! I hope he isn't always the kid who goofs off during a performance out of sheer embarrassment or fear. There's always one. Most parents think it's funny. (But they're glad it's not their kid.) Some parents think it's annoying. (And they're glad it's not their kid.) I guess it's a good thing I've always thought it was funny and sweet.

(William's the one in the middle.)

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

Funny!

Joanna said...

What a great story. William will always remember how great it felt when he noticed his daddy there to see him, and you guys will always remember the oink. I'd say that's making the best of both worlds.

(Of course, I can't help but think about the scene in A Christmas Story where the mom is coercing the younger boy to eat saying, "It's mommy's little piggy.")

Maria said...

That is so funny that he oinked! What a lucky guy to have you both there. I'm sure he will remember that forever!

Megan said...

Hysterical!! So glad that both of you could be there. Such proud moments!

Heather said...

OMG, that's too funny! Kyle gets massive stage fright. He stands there and tries really hard to stifle his smiles (because he's so happy that we're in the audience), but also seems a bit paralyzed and won't sing or participate much. Sadie's big dance recital is in June, and I'm really interested to see how she does up on a big stage.