Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Taking the Time

I think there's a general consensus among my blogging friends that we're all trying to live in the present more, trying to appreciate the small moments that happen every day, trying not to rush and wish our days away. With that in mind, I managed to make the most of a small moment this morning on our way to work. I needed to get gas, and while I normally would have made Seth and William stay in the car while I was filling 'er up, this morning, I freed both of them from their car seats and let them both "help." William likes to help me put the nozzle in the gas tank. Seth likes to push the buttons after I've swiped my card. This morning I even let William wash the car windows with the gas station's squeegee. It meant a few extra minutes of taking them out of and then putting them back into their car seats. But it also meant lots of smiles, no crying or whining, and a positive experience at the start of our day.

Of course, now I'm doomed because they're going to expect to get out of the car with me EVERY time I stop to get gas. But maybe that will teach me to take care of filling up the car either by myself once the boys are asleep, or when I'm not in a hurry. Regardless, it was worth it. Those extra minutes that I spend with the boys, even though they may be inconvenient or not part of my "plan," add up to a whole lot more than just time. It's a daily struggle, to be sure, not a destination but a journey. For today, at least, I feel successful.

5 comments:

Teresa said...

Good job Beth :) I'm sure the boys loved it but I agree - you'll probably be sneaking gas in when they're not around now.

Julie said...

Good for you! I try too to be fun once in a while and less structured and errandy and bossy in general. Once in a while--LOL!

Joanna said...

*nods head* yep.

Maria said...

Yay! It also is a lot less frenzied without the hassle of winter gear and cold! Yay spring and yay small moments, I thinkbthey remember the small things more that we think.

Megan said...

I'm with Maria- I think the kids recall these small moments all of the time. I took Seren to the grocery store this week in her PJS and with no shoes because we were picking up one essential medication item. You would have thought she won a contest! "I get to come? By myself? In my PJS!? That is so funny!" So good for you for making the mundane fun.