Friday, April 16, 2010

Too Many Thoughts to Be Coherent

I guess this calls for randomness.

Seth will be 2 years old on Thursday. TWO YEARS OLD! And William be FOUR YEARS OLD in 27 days. Not sure what birthday presents we're getting for the boys yet. William is really into space, Star Wars, and of course, big trucks. And Seth--poor Seth. We have all the toys he could ever need. He's not obsessed with anything in particular. So I have no idea what to get him. I'm thinking a ride-on toy for outside. I guess we better hurry and make up our minds.

We've been working on overnight potty training with William, with no success. Out of the last five nights, he stayed dry one night. I'm not too worried, but I'll be asking the pediatrician about it at his 4-year well visit. I've read that some parents wake their kids up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, but that sounds horrible to me. He can just wear pull-ups, thank you very much.I've also read there is a part of the brain that is responsible for waking you up when you need to use the bathroom, and it develops later for some kids. Of course I'm worried that William will be a bed wetter, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. (I think I was a bed-wetter until I was about 6 or so.)

We've also taken William off of Pulmicort (his asthma medication), so we'll see what happens. He's been on Pulmicort for about 2 years because for a while, every time he got a cold, he'd end up wheezing. This past year, on the Pulmicort, he has only wheezed once. So we're going to see if his lungs have developed enough that he won't need medication anymore.

We are entering the season of plans-every-weekend. This weekend is a friend's birthday party, next weekend is Seth's birthday party, the following weekend, we hope to take the boys camping, the next weekend is the Truck Touch, a local high school reunion, and Mother's Day, the next weekend is William's birthday party, and the weekend after that is my annual Girls' Weekend. Whew! I'm tired already.

I'm super excited to try camping with the boys. We live near a big lake that has car camping spots, in addition to mini golf, a kids' train and carousel, an ice cream shop, lake trails, and boat rentals. The best part is that it's about 15 minutes from our house. So if the outing is a flop, we can just go home. Hopefully, the boys will love it, though, and we'll have lots of camping trips in our future to look forward to.

I have a list of things I want to do with the boys this summer. This list includes grow tomatoes, visit the Baltimore Aquarium, go see a minor league baseball game, go to the beach, and go to Sesame Place in PA (and visit Megan and Joanna). I'd like to try to fit in a trip to Florida (could combine that with the beach) but I'm not sure that finances will allow for that. We'll see! Hopefully it will be a fun, fun summer.

7 comments:

Joanna said...

Wow, that was some major randomness. I think I'm due for some as well.

Can you believe that we have not been to Sesame place yet? We live about 40 minutes from it, but haven't gone. Crazy, I tell you.

Karen said...

Went to the Baltimore Aquarium and Sesame Place last summer. Not overly impressed with the aquarium and it was soooo crowded. We did do the B&O RR Museum and loved that. Sesame Place was fun!!

LauraC said...

Alex is not even close to overnight trained and we're not even going to try. My neighbor across the street tried EVERYTHING with their daughter and at 5, she's still in pullups. Pullups work for me. He has asked to wear underwear at night before & he just pees ALL NIGHT and never wakes up until 6AM when he is drenched in pee. Awesome.

I will be even more insanely jealous of your trip to Sesame Place!!

(Don't forget VEGAS BABY!)

Megan said...

I'm still stuck on the fact that Seth will be two. Amazing! Yeah, I'm not worried about pull ups at all. She has been trained for a year and wets that thing every morning. Its not on my radar. I am NOT going to get up to walk her to the potty at 2 am, 4 am, etc. :) Summer sounds like it is getting into shape. AWESOME

Lindsay said...

For Seth, might I suggest a "plasma car/wiggle racer"? My boys both love theirs, but AJC is a MACHINE on it. We paid $50 each at the Texas State Fair, and they have more than earned their keep.

The "wiggle" functionality only really works on flat, smooth areas, but both boys just use their feet to scoot it around anyway.

We went for a walk around the neighborhood the other day with JTC riding his bike and AJC on his wiggle racer. =)

Heather said...

Oh, Beth, how in the world is Seth almost 2? As for William, please take this advice to heart to save yourself the stress and heartache that I went through with Kyle. LEAVE HIM IN PULLUPS AND FORGET ABOUT IT. I'm begging you! LOL I tried everything with Kyle...limiting fluids, taking him out of pullups, waking him up at night. Nothing worked until his body was ready. He was in pullups until he was 6. And then, all of a sudden, he was dry every night and has only had one or two accidents in the last 3 years. I would just leave William in pullups, and someday, you'll start noticing that they're dry in the morning, and then you know it's time to try underwear. Wanna hear the odd thing? Sadie went straight from diapers to being dry all night. Soooo different than Kyle! So Seth may turn out to be completely different from William, too.

MJ said...

You got some good comments on this post! Everyone has something to say on randomness and night potty training. I'm all for the laid back, pull-up approach on that too.

Ooh, I hope for a Florida visit somewhere in there with family. I'll be happy enough with girls weekend though.

2?!?! 4?!?! How did that happen?